Enlightenment is not a remote state of Consciousness that we need to achieve some time in the future, but it is the very heart of our nature. Enlightenment is our true, inner nature. Unfortunately, during our spiritual search, most of us have been alienated from it; we have even forgotten about it. It is, however, permanently present in our life, but we simply disregard it. Our attention is always engaged by something, something that we need to deal with, so we very rarely take the trouble of looking into ourself. Still, if we were able to concentrate our attention on ourselves, that brief moment of alert Consciousness would be enough for us to recognize that the alert Consciousness, free of emotions and thoughts is our true inner nature. In the state of alert Consciousness thoughts will no longer keep our attention in captivity, and we may experience silence. In the alert silence we recognize the following truths:
- We experienced the nature of desires, the constant variability of the world of shapes and forms, where nothing is lasting, everything is dialectical, changeable. We is able to abandon its desires and ambitions.
- We wake up from the hypnotic spell of our personal history. We no longer believe in what we have firmly regarded as our own personal history. This experience may lead us to the point of questioning the truth of what we believed to be true in connection with ourselves.
- When we wake up from the sleep of personal identity we recognize that we are the free space of Consciousness. We are not identical with the shapes and forms appearing in this space, but we are the space itself, the space that enables the forms and shapes to appear and that keeps the forms and shapes alive.
- Our internal development therefore does not only depend on our life experience; it depends much more on our ability to divert our attention from the outside world to our internal world. Are we able to turn away from the patterns of mind, programmed by our Egos, and is there a deep desire to know the true answer to the question ”Who am I?”
- Real self-control is not born in us out of suppression, but out of the recognition and understanding of the meaning of Life. That kind of self-control will liberate our Consciousness from the state of identification with the world of shapes and forms. It will create a space between us and the functions of the Mind, and in that space the ability of seeing and understanding will be born.
- We are able to recognize the basically dual nature of existence, the fact that happiness is rooted in unhappiness. Our inner freedom enable us to say yes with pleasure to the things that are happening to us.
- At present, the program of our internal expectations have already been dissolved, and we no longer identify with our expectations of the other people.
- We are now aware that our sufferings are in fact our helpers and they may accelerate the process through which the Consciousness wakes up in the body we formerly and mistakenly considered our own.
- We shall readily accept anything and everything the moment brings to us, let it be joy or sorrow, because we will be fully aware that all these are parts of the same game.
- Everything created for us by others is transitory, but what we create for ourselves will be lasting and permanent.
- Everybody must find himself or herself what he or she is looking for.
- Enlightenment is us, we ourselves.
(C) Frank M. Wanderer, 2013-2016
You can republish our articles for free, but please include the author’s name and a link to our homepage (www.frankmwanderer.com)
- The Revolution of Consciousness — Deconditioning the Programmed Mind
- The Chant of the Heart: Enjoy the Nectar of Being
- The Flames of Alertness: Discover the Power of Consciousness!
- The Biggest Obstacle to Enlightenment: How to Escape from the Prison of Mind Games?
- and several other books on consciousness and enlightenment.
He has contributed to a few different spiritual websites including
- The Mind Unleashed,
- Wake Up World,
- Spirit Science,
- Waking Times,
- Zen Gardner,
- Expanded Consciousnes
- The Mind Journal
- Truth Theory
- The Open Mind
- Awakening People,
- My Empowered World,
- Enlightened Consciousness
- ChangeYour Thoughts,
- Body, Mind, Soul, Spirit.